Nominations are closing soon for the 2021 Senior Citizen of the Year Awards.
Held annually, the awards recognise persons aged 60 years and over, who have made a significant contribution in the past year or given outstanding service to the local community over a number of years.
Gympie Regional Council hosts the awards as part of Queensland Seniors Month, which runs from Friday 1 to Sunday 31 October.
GRC Mayor Glen Hartwig says we are fortunate to have so many seniors that donate their time to a variety of causes to make our region such a great place to live.
“Part of my role as Mayor involves attending a lot of local events and I can say without question that our region has some of the most hardworking and passionate senior citizens you will ever see.
“Nominations for this year’s Senior Citizen of the Year Awards are open and I encourage everyone to nominate a local resident who is over the age of 60 that deserves to be recognised for the hard work they do in our community.
“Whether it is for volunteering, grand-parenting, cultural and sporting pursuits, or preserving our history, nominate them today,” he said.
The male and female winners will be announced on council’s Facebook page during the Council Workshop livestream event on Wednesday, 6 October 2021 at 9am.
There will also be a number of small events planned by council and local community groups to celebrate Queensland Seniors Month, including:
• The Goomeri Seniors Celebration on Tuesday, 12 October from 10am to 12am at the Goomeri Hall of Memory,
• Gympie Lions Community Morning Tea on Thursday, 14 October from 10am to 11.30am at the Gympie Senior Citizens Centre,
• Pickleball Meetup in Kandanga, every Tuesday in October from 7.30am to 9am at the Kandanga Tennis Club,
• The Gallery Exhibition Tour on Friday, 22 October from 10.30am to 11.30am at the Gympie Regional Gallery, and
• Cooloola Coast Seniors Expo on Saturday 23 October from 10am to 1pm at the Cooloola Coast Bowls Club.
Hard copy nomination forms are available at Gympie Regional Libraries and council’s customer contact points.
For more information about Queensland Seniors Month activities in the Gympie region and to complete an online nomination form, visit www.gympie.qld.gov.au/seniorsmonth