Firefighters had to the enter the home of two Gympie residents through the roof with breathing apparatus this afternoon, according to a spokesman for the Queensland Fire and Emergency Service.
He said two more crews, also on oxygen, entered through the front and rear of the Pine Street home at just after 12.30pm to tackle the blaze, which had already engulfed the entire house by the time crews arrived on the scene.
Two occupants of the house were able to escape the inferno completely unscathed but have lost almost everything just two weeks before Christmas.
The fire is believed to have started in the rear of the top level of the two storey 10x10m Queenslander.
Three crews were able to bring the blaze under control quickly but Acting Station Officer Justin Groth said the home was “gutted”.
He said working smoke alarms can play a significant role in helping to reduce the severity of house fires and that batteries should be checked regularly.